Rava idli with purti soyalite refined soyabean oil
January 28, 2023
Rava Idli are quick, instant easy idli variety made with sooji or semolina. These suji idli requires no grinding and fermentation.
For Soaking & Cooking:
For Frying & Roasting :
- – 2 tablespoons purti soyalite oil
- – 14 halved cashews
- – ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- – 1 teaspoon chana dal (husked and split bengal gram or split & husked chickpeas)
- – ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- – 10 curry leaves – chopped
- – 1 pinch asafoetida – optional
- – 1 teaspoon or 1 inch finely chopped ginger
- – 1 green chilli – finely chopped
- – 2 tablespoons finely grated carrots – optional
- – 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- – ½ teaspoon salt or add as required
- – 1 cup or 175 grams cup rava (sooji, semolina, cream of wheat)
- – ½ cup Curd (yogurt)
- – ½ to ¾ cup water or add as required
- – 1 teaspoon eno (fruit salt) or ¼ teaspoon or 2 to 3 pinches of baking soda
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4 servings
Frying & Roasting :
- – Heat 2 tablespoons purti soyalite oil in a pan. Add the halved cashews. Stirring often fry the cashews till golden.
- – To the same pan add mustard seeds and let them begin to splutter.
- – When the mustard seeds begin to splutter add the chana dal.
- – Stirring often fry chana dal till they look golden and crunchy. Then add the cumin seeds and fry for 4 to 5 seconds.
- – Now add the chopped curry leaves, asafoetida, finely chopped ginger and green chillies.
- – Next add rava (cream of wheat, suji, semolina).
- – Mix well and stirring often roast the rava till they become aromatic, change color a bit (but should not get browned or golden) and the grains look separate. Roasting rava will takes about 5 to 7 minutes depending on the thickness and heaviness of the pan, and the flame intensity. Once the rava is well roasted, keep the pan aside. Let the rava become warm.
Making Batter :
- – To the roasted rava, add 2 tablespoons finely grated carrots, 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and ½ teaspoon salt or add as required.
- – Next add curd and water as required. you can adjust the water from ½ to ¾ cup. If the curd is liquid and has whey in it,
- – then add ½ cup water. If the curd is very thick, then add ¾ cup waterthe batter rest covered for 20 minutes.
- – The rava idli batter is neither thick nor thin in consistency and has a medium consistency.Brush purti soyalite oil on the idli pan moulds.
- – Place a fried halved cashew in the center of the moulds. Also heat 2 to 2.5 cups water in a pot.
- – After 20 minutes this is the consistency of the batter after resting.
- – Sprinkle 1 teaspoon eno or ¼ teaspoon baking soda evenly over the batter. Quickly mix very well.
- – Pour the batter in the idli moulds. Place them in the pot with the hot water. Cover with a lid and steam rava idli for 10 to 12 minutes.
- – To check the doneness, a toothpick or wooden skewer inserted in the rava idli should come out clean. Remove the idli plates carefully and let them rest for 3 to 4 minutes. Then with a spoon remove the rava idli. Serve the steaming hot rava idli with sambar and your favorite coconut chutney.