Apple pie recipe made from scratch is wonderfully easy and delicious. It happens to be completely vegan.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 1 hr
Servings: 6 apple pie wedges
Ingredients For the pie crust
1 cup whole wheat flour – 120 grams ½ cup all-purpose flour – 62.5 grams ¼ cup Purti sunflower oil ¼ cup water – at room temperature or add as required ½ teaspoon salt or as required
For the apple pie filling
2 apples (medium-sized) – peeled, cored, and sliced ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (cinnamon powder) ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg or grated nutmeg (nutmeg powder) 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour 2 tablespoons Demerara sugar (or brown sugar or raw sugar or white sugar) 1 to 2 teaspoons oil – to top the filling
1. 1 to 2 pinches ground cinnamon (cinnamon powder) – for sprinkling
2. 1 to 2 pinches raw sugar or brown sugar or white sugar – for sprinkling
3. 2 to 3 teaspoons soy milk or any nut milk – for glazing
Instructions making pie crust
1. Sieve or mix all the dry ingredients together – whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, and salt.
2. Add the Purti oil and with your fingertips combine the oil in the flour evenly to get a breadcrumb consistency. This step should be done properly and this results in giving a flaky texture to the crust. The whole mixture should look like breadcrumbs.
3. Add water in parts binding the whole mixture together. Don’t knead. Gather everything and form a dough.
Making apple pie filling
1. Peel, core, and slice the apples.
2. Mix the ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, Demerara sugar and whole wheat flour into the apples.
3. Preheat your oven at 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees Fahrenheit) for 15 minutes.
4. Grease your pie pan with Purti oil.
1. Divide the dough into two or four equal parts depending on the size of your pie pans.
2. Take one portion of the dough on a dusted work surface. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into an even layer that is about ¼ inch thick.
3. Place one of the rolled pie crust gently on the greased pan and press it towards the bottom and the sides.
4. Arrange the apple filling evenly on the bottom pie crust.
5. Top the apple slices with a few drops of Purti oil or dots of vegan butter.
6. Cover the pan with another rolled pie crust and fold the edges of the top crust over and under the bottom edges. Flute the edges.
7. Cut through the top pie crust with a fork or knife from the top so as to allow steam to pass while baking.
8. You can also cut strips from the rolled dough and create a lattice pie crust.
9. Brush with soy milk or any nut milk and sprinkle raw sugar and ground cinnamon from the top.
1. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees Fahrenheit) for 50 to 60 minutes or until the crust has become golden and crisp.
2. Serve the apple pie warm or when at room temperature.
1. You can refrigerate or freeze the pies. Wrap the apple pies when they completely cool down in a cling film or store them in an air-tight container and refrigerate or freeze.
© copyright, Purti Vanaspati Pvt. Ltd. All Rights Reserved.