Traditional ‘Khichuri’ is made using ‘Gobindbhog Rice’ which is extremely popular among Bengali’s. It’s dull small grain rice however, you can use any small grain rice to make this version. It’s also one of the preferred meals in India when you want to eat extremely light and of course for bhog (festive food). It’s perfect for one of “THOSE” lazy days when you don’t want to cook anything elaborate but yet want something healthy using least of the utensils n time.
1 Cup Small Grain Rice
1 Cup Split Yellow Moong Daal
2 Large Boiled Potato – Chopped into 6 pieces
1/2 Cauliflower roughly chopped
1 Cup Green Peas – frozen or fresh
1 Tbsp Ginger Paste
2 Tbsp Ricebran oil
4 Tbsp ghee
3 1/2 Cup Water
1 Large Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
2 Dry Red Chili
2 Black Cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
2 Cloves (Laung)
1 Stick of Cinnamon (Dalchini)
1 Tsp Garam Masala
½ Tsp Turmeric
1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
2 Tsp Salt (As per your taste)
Roast the Lentil and Rice & Veggies:
1. Heat a large pot. Add moong daal and roast it over medium-low flames for 2 minutes. (this brings out the nutty lentil aromas and the daal will turn slightly brown-pink).
2. Remove the roasted dal and add rice to the same pot. Roast the rice for 2 minutes and transfer to the roasted dal bowl.
3. Soak the roasted dal and rice mix in 2 cups water.
4. In the same pan, add 1tsp Ricebran oil (you can add ghee too) and roast the cauliflower until light brown (takes 2 minutes).
Make the Bengali Khichuri (Bhoger Khichuri):
1. Heat the same pot and add remaining Ricebran oil + 1tbsp ghee.
2. Add the whole spices and saute for 30 seconds.
3. Add the powdered spices and saute for 30 seconds.
4. Now add the soaked roasted daal + rice (keep the water and just add the grains).
5. Saute this mix 1-2 times and let this cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
6. Now add water, green peas (you may use the soaking water if you kept it), and saute everything.
7. Let this cook on low-medium heat for 2 minutes (stir every minute).
8. Finally add cauliflower, potatoes, ghee, and mix everything.
9. Add 1/2 cup water, mix everything, and cover the pot.
10. Let this cook for 10 minutes over low-medium heat (stir every minute and check for doneness of rice+dal).
11. Once the khichuri is cooked, add some ghee on top and lightly mix in.
12. Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy.
© copyright, Purti Vanaspati Pvt. Ltd. All Rights Reserved.