Just in case you aren’t familiar with our favourite appetizer, tandoori paneer tikka is marinated skewers of paneer which are grilled in a super-hot tandoor. It’s spicy, juicy, light and slightly smoky. It’s like a vegetarian alternative to tandoori chicken, fish or prawn tikka if you’ve tried those.
200 to 250 grams Paneer
½ cup diced onions/1 medium sized onion
½ diced capsicum/1 small to medium bell pepper – green, yellow/red
2 teaspoons Kashmiri red chili powder
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoon Ginger-Garlic Paste/crushed ginger-garlic
200 grams Hung Curd/Greek yogurt
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
1 teaspoon ajwain
1 teaspoon dry mango powder
1 teaspoon chaat masala
½ teaspoon black pepper powder
1.5 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon Rice bran oil
½ teaspoon black salt (optional)
• In a large bowl, take the hung curd (Greek yogurt) & whisk it lightly till it becomes smooth.
• Add ginger-garlic paste, all thespice powders, carom seeds, black salt, regular salt, lemon juice & Rice bran oil.
• Mix very well. Check the taste & add more seasonings if required.
• Add the veggies & paneer to the marinade. Slowly & gently mix them with the marinade.
• Cover the bowl and marinate for at least 2 hours or more in the refrigerator.
• After 2 hours thread the paneer & veggies alternately on bamboo skewers. Soak or rinse the bamboo skewers before threading.
• Preheat the oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 230 or 240 degree Celsius or 464 degrees Fahrenheit. Use only the top heating element.
• Line a baking tray with aluminium foil or parchment paper. Arrange the paneer skewers on the tray.
Brush some oil on the veggies & paneer cubes all over.
• Place the tray on the top rack. Grill the paneer tikka first for 7 to 10 minutes at 230 or 240 degree Celsius or 464 degrees Fahrenheit. Then remove and turn the skewers.
• Place back on the top rack in the oven & continue to grill for 3 to 5 minutes more till the edges of the paneer are golden or slightly charred. Do not grill for a long time as then paneer cubes become hard.
• Since temperatures vary from oven to oven do keep a check. You can reduce or increase the time as required. Total grilling time will be 15 to 20 minutes.
• Remove from the oven and then place the paneer cubes on a serving plate. Sprinkle some chaat masala and lemon juice.
• Serve paneer tikka with mint chutney and onion rings with lemon wedges.
© copyright, Purti Vanaspati Pvt. Ltd. All Rights Reserved.